I just posted to rant that up until now since the night before yesterday, I could still see and feel the mosquito bites that peppered my arms and legs.

A mosquito bite never last for more than half a day on me. Ever.

So I'm wondering if those things just mutated in our area and have developed toxins that lets the itch stay far longer than usual.

On a more geeky biological note, since I was a kid I have observed at least three species of these pesky vermin.

The larval stage of these critters we call wrigglers, because they swim by wriggling and eats just about anything -_- they can only breed in stagnant water [hence, health officials usually treat areas like this]

Two of the three species I've observed are easy to detect because they swim near the surface of the water. The pupal stage make them all the easier to see because it does nothing but kick-swimming to help get out of danger. Plus, they have a big, prominent head.

I would say that at least one of those two can cause those damn mosquito bites that lasts like the one that did this to me recently. And they fly very fast, sometimes nimble enough to escape even a kung fu master's grip.

The third, however, I call the 'Goliath'. Simply because it's the largest and its larval stage look more like a worm rather than a wriggler. It stays at the bottom of a body of stagnant water. This is the hardiest larva, because no matter what I do [put household chemicals in the water, short of muriatic acid] it manages to live o_O

Its mature stage also is the largest, fortunately, it makes it easier to detect in the air when it is flying :} All the more satisfying to obliterate it.

yeeargh.